In order to reach your goal of complete health and wellness, you must improve each of the following "Facets of Health." They are all equally important and you cannot "double-up" on one because you don't want to be bothered with another.
1. Exercise: The correct type and timing of exercise is crucial. Three types of exercise should be incorporated. Stretching exercises to increase joint range and muscle length, strengthening exercises to improve muscle tone, and proprioceptive reconditioning to improve spinal balance and posture (see below).
2. Nutrition: The old saying, "We are what we eat," is more accurate than you may realize. You should avoid caffeine, Nutrasweet, refined sugars, and hydrogenated oils as much as possible. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is an excitatory neurotoxin and should be eliminated from the diet. Eat well-balanced meals with a concentration on fiber. Supplementation with multiple vitamins with minerals is essential. Omega 3 fatty acids should be supplemented as well. Fish oils and flaxseed oil are very high in these essential nutrients. I recommend that you go to www.deflame.com for more information.
3. Posture: Good posture reduces stress on the spine, nervous system and muscles. The head should be balanced over the shoulders and the shoulders over the pelvis while sitting, standing and performing most activities.
4. Rest: Your body heals itself at rest. You will need extra rest while your body is trying to correct the subluxation pattern that has developed over time. The average person needs 6-8 hours of sleep per night. This means sleep, not tossing and turning in the bed. Make sure your mattress and pillows provide the proper support!
5. Positive Mental Attitude: Remember, no one gets well unless they want to. Realize that your condition took time to develop and it will take time to get well.
6. A Balanced Spine: The nervous system controls and coordinates all functions of the body and the spine is the flexible housing of the central nervous system. If it is not balanced it cannot function properly. Specific spinal adjustments restore normal function of the spine and allow the nervous system to operate at 100%.
Patients often ask us what they can do to help themselves respond to their chiropractic care quicker. Improving all 6 Facets of Health will assist you in reaching your goals quicker by reducing physical, emotional and chemical stress and allowing your body to adapt to stress easier. If you have any questions regarding this topic or any other aspect of our treatment plans, feel free to discuss these with us.